I was feeling pretty burned out on superhero movies, and specifically the Marvel Cinematic Universe, after Avengers: Endgame. But then I saw the announcements coming out of Comic-Con and I started getting excited all over again:
- Eternals, featuring Richard Madden, Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani, and a whole lot of Jack Kirby.
- Taika Waititi returning to direct Thor: Love and Thunder, complete with Natalie Portman’s female Thor and a bitchin’ logo.
- Mahershala Ali replacing Wesley Snipes as Blade.
- Hong Kong legend Tony Leung starring in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings as the Mandarin.
- The Black Widow prequel tackling the spy genre.
- Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness, which — even if I didn’t like the original Doctor Strange (which I do) — I’d see for the title alone.
- And finally, the various Marvel series coming to Disney+.
I wasn’t too sure where the MCU could go post-Endgame, but the news coming out of Comic-Con gives me hope that MCU’s “Phase Four” will start out with a decent amount of weirdness. And please, give a raise to everyone involved in the decision to cast Tony Leung in a Marvel movie.