All political/ideological differences aside, there’s one thing that we can all agree on concerning the content and media that we enjoy online: Facebook, Twitter, et al. control way too much of what we see with their powerful, opaque algorithms.
While social media networks are incredibly convenient, they’re also designed to co-opt our attention as much as possible. Which is why I’m a firm believer in the beauty and necessity of independent websites.
Independent websites offer a way for authors to write in their own unique way and actually own their content. At the same time, such websites give readers an opportunity to read about stuff that might otherwise fall through the cracks or get passed over for whatever Facebook’s algorithm deems “important” or “relevant.”
I’ve been running Opus for nearly 25 years with the same goal since day one: highlighting good, beautiful, and noteworthy pop culture. Opus has always been, and continues to be, a labor of love, and I intend to run it for as long as I possibly can — and you can help.
If you enjoy reading Opus, here are several ways that you can support the website and my efforts here:
- Become a paying subscriber. For $5/month or $50/year, you’ll get access to sneak previews as well as some subscriber exclusives, including Spotify playlists and podcasts. (You can read more about Opus subscriptions here.)
- Follow me on Facebook and Twitter and share your favorite articles and reviews with friends and family. (Let’s fight the algorithms together!)
- If you use the Brave web browser, you can send me a tip via the “Brave Rewards” program.
- If you’re a paying member of Coil, part of your subscription goes to pay those websites that you visit, including Opus.
- Finally, there’s always good ol’ PayPal.
If you’ve already subscribed or otherwise supported Opus, you have my deepest thanks. There are so many great sites and authors out there worth supporting; I hope you’ll continue to find Opus worth both your time and money.