Update: I’ve finished watching Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing, and I didn’t like it. At all.
I suppose this shouldn’t have been too surprising, given how much of Funimation’s content is available online, but nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised to see the first two episodes of Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing pop up on Hulu Plus. (I assume they’ll be adding new episodes on a roughly weekly basis.) The sequel to Last Exile has easily been one of my most anticipated anime series since I first found out about it back in February. Obviously, two episodes is not enough to full judge a series, but here are some very initial perceptions:
- The first episode felt a bit rushed to me — I liked how the original slowly eased you into the story’s world — but the second episode offered some more tantalizing glimpses.
- I could either end up really liking the two main characters or really disliking them. This is especially true of Fam Fan Fan. Also, I wouldn’t mind if Teddy just disappeared for the rest of the series.
- I can’t quite explain why, but I love Range Murata’s character designs. True, there’s a certain same-ness to them, even across different series, and they can get a bit on the cutesy side, but I still find them interesting and unique.
- CG animation is basically inescapable in anime these days, but it’s not too bad here. There are one or two scenes where it’s particularly grating, but I’ve seen much worse from Gonzo.
- I was curious/worried as to how, exactly, the sequel would tie in with the original series, but the two episodes hint at some interesting possibilities for links between the two series.
- Dio Eraclea!
If you don’t have Hulu Plus, you can watch episodes of Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing on Funimation’s website as well.